We saw D’Lo’s new Pediatric Nephrologist today. Good news? No. Bad news? Not really. It was more like the same news…just wrapped up in a different package. We will stay on the prednisone for now – and wait a little longer on the biopsy and alternate meds. Since he responds so quickly to the steroids, that is our first-best defense. Unfortunately, he relapses once he comes off the steroids so, for now, we will wean him down to the smallest dosage possible (that will still keep protein from spilling into his urine)…and there he will stay indefinitely, unless his growth becomes halted. They will be monitoring his height carefully and, in the event he stops getting taller, we will revisit the biospy and alternate meds. Of course, if he begins to relapse while on the steriods, we will also revisit the biopsy and alternate meds.
So, like I said – just more of the same. The same constant urine sticks, the same constant watching for foamy pee, the same constant worry every time his eyes look swollen…and the same constant faith that he may just outgrow this someday in the future, or be healed from it some day even sooner. Please Lord.